Social insurance if you work in Denmark

Being affiliated with the social insurance system of a country means that you are eligible for benefits such as parental allowance, sickness benefit and other benefits in that country. If you work full-time in Denmark and live in Sweden, you follow the general rule that you are affiliated to the system in the country in which you work.
OPS (1) 


This information is for EU citizens only.

What is social insurance?

Social insurance in Sweden gives you the right to receive benefits including the following:

  • sickness benefit
  • child benefit
  • parental allowance
  • general pension
  • disability allowance


If you live and work in Sweden, you are automatically affiliated to the Swedish social insurance system. If you choose to start working in Denmark, or move there, it can affect your social insurance.

Social insurance when working in Denmark

If you begin working in Denmark, in most cases you should also be affiliated with the social insurance system there. You should then notify Försäkringskassan (the Swedish Social Insurance Agency) that you are not going to be affiliated with the Swedish social insurance system any longer.


You can choose whether you want to use the health services in Denmark or Sweden. There is no Danish authority that corresponds to the Swedish Försäkringskassan. Instead your employer, the municipality and Udbetaling Danmark manage your social insurance benefits.


Working in both Denmark and Sweden has consequences for your social insurance.

If you stop working in Denmark - what happens then with social insurance?

Remember that if you resign from or lose your Danish job, your social insurance goes back to Sweden again. You should then notify Försäkringskassan and register again. If you have had child benefit from Denmark, you should also request that they put you back under the Swedish social insurance system.


Subsequently, Swedish rules will also apply regarding unemployment benefit. You should therefore register at Arbetsförmedlingen (the Swedish Public Employment Agency) on your first day of unemployment, and if you are a member of a Danish a-kasse (unemployment insurance fund), you must also re-register for the Swedish a-kassa. 

Check where you are affiliated

Where you are affiliated can be of great importance for your private finances, so it is important to check which rules apply in your case. If you would like to know where you are affiliated, please contact Försäkringskassan in Sweden in the first instance.


If you have any questions about Danish social insurance, please contact the municipality or authority that deals with the matter. For questions regarding social insurance, please contact the Danish municipality where your place of work is located. For questions regarding child benefit or parental allowance, please contact Udbetaling Danmark. For questions regarding unemployment insurance, please contact a Danish a-kasse.