Pension payment when working in Denmark

Last updated 3/9/2023
You apply for your pension in the country of your residence, for both the pension earned in Denmark and Sweden. The exception is if you have only worked in one of the countries. In that case, you must apply for your pension in the country where you received your income.

Inform Pensionsmyndigheten 

If you live in Sweden, you should inform Pensionsmyndigheten (the Swedish Pensions Agency) that you have earned state pension in Denmark. Pensionsmyndigheten then contacts Udbetaling Danmark who is responsible for payment to those who live in Sweden.


Contact Pensionsmyndigheten


Labour market pension 

When you reach retirement age, you should contact the Danish pension fund yourself; because the Danish pension fund is not automatically informed that you have reached retirement age. Remember that it is a good idea to keep records showing your employers and employment periods.


Taxation of pension

As a starting point, pension is taxed in the country that pays it, but certain taxes can also occur in the country of residence. In that case, the tax, which has already been paid in the "payer country", is deducted. Please contact Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax Agency) in Sweden to get more information on taxation in your situation.

Did you find this information relevant?

Do you want to elaborate?

Thanks for your reply.

Stop working in Denmark – What you need to know

Are you leaving your work in Denmark?

Look through our checklist to find out what important steps you need to take. 



Supported by