Danish old age pension and supplements

Last updated 1/29/2024
If you are an EU/EEA-citizen, you have the right to the Danish old age pension for the years you have worked in Denmark, without being a Danish citizen - but you do not automatically have the right to the full old age pension.

Basic amount + supplements = old age pension in Denmark

The Danish old age pension consists of a basic amount and a pension supplement. The basic amount is a contribution, which almost all pensioners receive, and it is only determined by your working income. The pension supplement is determined by you and your spouse/cohabitants income. The following other supplements are available when living in Sweden:

  • Personal supplement - can be requested for old age pensioners in a financially difficult situation. There are no fixed rules as to what is considered to be a financially difficult situation. This is determined on a case to case basis.
  • Heating allowance - an extra allowance to those in difficulty who need help with paying expenses related to heating and warm water.


Ældrecheck - supplementary pension contributions

If you receive an old age pension from Denmark, you sometimes have the right to supplementary pension benefits from the Danish State. It is called ældrecheck and is given to people whose wealth is below a certain level. If you live in Sweden, you must apply to Udbetaling Danmark for your ældrecheck.


Rules for receiving a Danish old age pension

As an EU/EEA citizen, you have a right to old age pension for the years you worked or lived in Denmark, without being a Danish citizen. According to the general rule, you should otherwise be a Danish citizen and have stayed in Denmark for at least 3 years, between the ages of 15 and 65-67.

To receive a full Danish old age pension, you must have lived or worked in Denmark for 40 years. These 40 years must have been between the age of 15 and 65-67. Those who have lived or worked in Denmark for less time are entitled to a reduced pension. For example, if you have worked or been registered as a resident in Denmark for ten full years, your pension will be 10/40 of a full Danish pension.

You can find more information and the application forms for the state pension on borger.dk.


Article about pensions on borger.dk


Who should I contact if I have questions about the Danish old age pension?

The authority Udbetaling Danmark pays the old age pension and supplements. You should therefore contact Udbetaling Denmark if you have any questions about these benefits.  


Contact Udbetaling Danmark

Did you find this information relevant?

Do you want to elaborate?

Thanks for your reply.

Got a job in Denmark? Follow these steps

Have you just got a job in Denmark?

We have the checklist with information about all the practical steps you need to take, and what you must consider.

Supported by