The Danish tax scheme for foreign researchers and highly-paid employees (Forskerordningen)

Last updated 12/9/2021
Swedish employees working as researchers or so-called key employees in Denmark have the opportunity to be taxed under a special Danish tax, called "forskerordningen".

Researchers and key employees from Sweden or other countries who are employed in Denmark have the opportunity to be taxed at 32.84 percent (8 percent AM-bidrag and 27% A-skatt) for a period of up to 7 years. The Danish forskerordningen is usually advantageous over the conventional income tax in Denmark, which is significantly higher.


When can you make use of the Danish forskerordningen?

Skattestyrelsen in Denmark has chosen to define the researchers as:
-persons carrying out research work at a university or a private company
- and who also have postgraduate education at PhD-level as a minimum. 

Key employees are people who have a high salary of at least DKK 70.400 per month (2022) + ATP contributions. There are no formal education requirements for key employees.


What does the Danish employer need to 

Within eight days of becoming liable to withhold income tax at souce, the employer must fill in form no. 01.012A (for resarchers) or form no. 02.12B (for highly-paid employees) and submit it to Skattestyrelsen at the address stated at the top of the form.

You will find the forms at


The employer must enclose a copy of the contract of employment together with any documentation concerning mandatory foreign social security, any approval of qualification as a researcher as well as any other necessary documentation. It is not necessary to enclose a copy of the contract of employment for approved researchers.


What happens next?

Skattestyrelsen decides whether the employer and the employee meet the requirements for the special tax. The employer will also receive a message with information on how the tax is to be paid during the researcher/key employee's employment.


Did you find this information relevant?

Do you want to elaborate?

Thanks for your reply.

We can help you

You are always welcome to visit our Information Center in Malmö to get help with your questions regarding working, moving or studying in Denmark.


Supported by