Vi använder cookies på På använder vi cookies för att ge dig som användare en bra upplevelse och för att insamla statistik i syfte att förbättra användarupplevelsen på hemsidan. Om du klickar dig vidare på sidan accepterar du samtidigt vår cookie- och integritetspolicy.

Läs mer

Danish income tax - a short introduction

You pay tax in Denmark if you work there, regardless of whether you live in Denmark or Sweden. Taxation therefore takes place in your country of employment. Danish income tax consists of municipal tax, AM-bidrag and state tax.
OPS (1) 


This information is for EU citizens only.

Arbejdmarkedsbidrag (AM-bidrag) - labour market contribution tax

In addition to municipal taxes all employees in Denmark also pay a labour market contribution (AM-bidrag) of 8 percent. This is a tax, which, among other things, covers in the event of unemployment and sickness benefits and expenditure for training and activation. The labour market contribution tax is deducted from your entire gross earnings. Income tax is then deducted.

Municipal tax and sundhedsbidrag

Municipal tax make up the largest portion of the total income tax, 24 percent (2019) for commuters living in Sweden and working in Denmark.

State tax in Denmark

State tax increases in line with income. In 2019 the following applied:

  • Bottom-bracket tax: for amounts above the basic deduction of DKK 47,000, you pay 12.16 percent in tax  
  • Top tax: for amounts above DKK 513,400 (after AM-bidrag) you pay 15 percent in tax 

Danish deductions

You pay tax on income after the deductions have been subtracted. This means that you make your deductions first and the state and municipal tax is then deducted from the remaining amount. You can make several different deductions on your annual salary. The deductions you are entitled to depend on whether you have a full tax liability or a limited tax liability or if you are taxed according to the cross-border rule.


As a commuter you can be taxed according to limited tax liability or the cross-border rule.

Managing your tax in TastSelv

In Denmark Skattestyrelsen have a system called TastSelv. You can find more information on Skattestyrelsens website. You need a NemID or a TastSelv code to be able to access your tax information. In TastSelv you can change the information if your income changes during the year, among other things.