Vi använder cookies på På använder vi cookies för att ge dig som användare en bra upplevelse och för att insamla statistik i syfte att förbättra användarupplevelsen på hemsidan. Om du klickar dig vidare på sidan accepterar du samtidigt vår cookiepolitik.

Läs mera om cookies och hur du själv kan avaktivera dem

Danish state pension and allowances

If you live in Sweden, you have the right to the Danish state pension for the years you have worked in Denmark, without being a Danish citizen - but you do not have the right to the full state pension.
OPS (1) 


This information is for EU citizens only.

Basic amount + supplements = state pension in Denmark

The Danish state pension consists of a basic amount and supplements. The basic amount is a contribution, which almost all pensioners receive. The supplement is determined by your income. The following supplements are available:


  • Personal supplement - can be requested for people in a financialle difficult situation. There are no fixed rules as to what is considered to be a financially difficult situation. This is determined on a case to case basis.
  • Healthcare and medication supplements, called "helbredstillæg", which you can request for certain types of examinations and treatments from a dentist, podiatrist, physiotherapist, chiropractor and psychologist. This supplement is only given to people in particularly bad financial difficulty. 
  • Housing allowance - as a pensioner, you can get help towards your accommodation costs from the municipality. Conditions vary depending on the type of housing you have. 
  • Heating allowance - an extra allowance to those in difficulty who need help with paying expenses related to heating and warm water.

Ældrecheck - supplementary pension contributions

If you receive a state pension from Denmark, you sometimes have the right to supplementary pension contributions from the Danish State. It is called ældrecheck and is given to people whose wealth is below a certain level. If you live in Sweden, you must apply to Udbetaling Danmark for your ældrecheck.

Rules for receiving a Danish state pension

As a resident in an EU country, you have a right to state pension for the years you worked in Denmark, without being a Danish citizen. According to the general rule, you should otherwise be a Danish citizen and have stayed in Denmark for at least 3 years, between the ages of 15 and 65-67.


To receive a full Danish state pension, you must have lived or worked in Denmark for 40 years. These 40 years must have been between the age of 15 and 65-67. Those who have lived or worked in Denmark for less time are entitled to a reduced pension. For example, if you have worked or been registered as a resident in Denmark for ten full years, your pension will be 10/40 of a full Danish pension.


You can find more information and the application forms for the state pension on (please note that this is in Danish).

Who should I contact if I have questions about the Danish state pension?

The authority Udbetaling Danmark pays the state pension, ældrecheck, heating allowance and housing allowance. You should therefore contact Udbetaling Denmark if you have any questions about these benefits. 

For questions relating to personal supplements or "helbredstillæg" (healthcare and medication supplement), you should contact your municipality if you live in Denmark.